French Onion Chicken Skillet is a delicious and easy-to-make recipe that combines the classic flavors of French onion soup with tender chicken breast. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you want a comforting and flavorful meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
You will need chicken breasts, onions, garlic, chicken broth, thyme, butter, flour, and shredded cheese to make this dish. Start by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat and adding a tablespoon of butter. Once the butter is melted, add the sliced onions and garlic and cook for about 5-7 minutes until they are caramelized and golden brown.
Next, push the onions to the side of the skillet and add another tablespoon of butter. Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and thyme and place them in the skillet. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side until it is golden brown and fully cooked.
Once the chicken is cooked, please remove it from the skillet and set it aside on a plate. Add a tablespoon of flour to the onions and garlic and stir well to combine. Slowly pour the chicken broth and whisk until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Return the chicken to the skillet and spoon the onion gravy over the chicken.
Finally, top the chicken with shredded cheese and place the skillet under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve the French Onion Chicken Skillet hot with your favorite sides, such as rice, mashed potatoes, or roasted vegetables.
French Onion Chicken Skillet Recipe
French Onion Chicken Skillet is a delicious and easy-to-make recipe that combines the classic flavors of French onion soup with tender chicken breast. This dish is perfect for busy weeknights when you want a comforting and flavorful meal without spending hours in the kitchen. Give it a try and enjoy the delicious taste of French onion soup in a new and exciting way!
Here’s a recipe for French Onion Chicken Skillet:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- Preheat your oven’s broiler to high.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt, black pepper, and dried thyme.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Once the butter has melted, add the sliced onions and minced garlic to the skillet. Cook the onions for 5-7 minutes until they are caramelized and golden brown.
- Move the onions to one side of the skillet and add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the other side. Add the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, please remove it from the skillet and set it aside on a plate.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and garlic and stir well to combine. Slowly pour the chicken broth while whisking continuously until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Return the chicken breasts to the skillet and spoon the onion gravy.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the chicken and onion gravy.
- Place the skillet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve the French Onion Chicken Skillet hot with your favorite sides, such as rice, mashed potatoes, or roasted vegetables.
Enjoy your delicious French Onion Chicken Skillet!
What is Skillet French onion chicken?
Skillet French onion chicken is a dish that typically involves cooking chicken breasts in a skillet and topping them with a French onion sauce. The sauce is usually made by caramelizing onions until golden brown and then adding beef broth, thyme, and sometimes other seasonings. The chicken is then cooked in the sauce until fully cooked and tender. Some recipes may also call for cheese to be melted over the top of the chicken before serving. This dish is popular for its rich and savory flavor, and it is often served with a side of vegetables or starch like rice or mashed potatoes.
What is the best way to cook French onion chicken?
The best way to cook French Onion Chicken depends on personal preference, but here are a few methods:
- Skillet: One of the most popular ways to cook French Onion Chicken is in a skillet. Start by cooking the onions in the skillet until they are caramelized, and then add the chicken to the pan. Cook until the chicken is browned on both sides and cooked through. Then, add a flour-based sauce to the skillet along with shredded cheese and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Oven-baked: Another way to cook French Onion Chicken is to bake it in the oven. Begin by seasoning the chicken with salt, pepper, and thyme. Next, caramelize onions in a separate pan, and transfer the onions to the bottom of a baking dish. Place the chicken on top of the onions and bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through. Add a flour-based sauce and shredded cheese to the top of the chicken and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Slow cooker: For an even easier method, you can also make French Onion Chicken in a slow cooker. Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker along with sliced onions, garlic, thyme, and chicken broth. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours until the chicken is cooked. Then, add a flour-based sauce and shredded cheese to the slow cooker and cook for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Overall, the best way to cook French Onion Chicken will depend on your personal preference and the equipment you have available.
How long do you cook chicken and onions in the oven?
The cooking time for French Onion Chicken in the oven can vary depending on the chicken breasts’ thickness and the oven’s temperature. However, as a general guideline, you can cook the chicken and onions in the oven at 375°F (190°C) for about 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and no longer pink in the center.
After the chicken is cooked, add a flour-based sauce and shredded cheese to the top and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
It’s always a good idea to check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure it has reached a safe temperature of 165°F (74°C) before serving. This will help ensure the chicken is cooked and safe to eat.
What to serve with French onion chicken?
French Onion Chicken is a delicious and filling main dish that can be served with various sides. Here are some ideas for what to serve with French Onion Chicken:
- Roasted Vegetables: Roasted vegetables are a healthy and delicious side dish that pairs well with French Onion Chicken. Some great options include roasted carrots, asparagus, or broccoli.
- Mashed Potatoes: Mashed potatoes are a classic side dish that complements the flavors of French Onion Chicken. You can make them plain or add garlic or cheese for extra flavor.
- Rice or Quinoa: A side of rice or quinoa is a great way to balance out the flavors of the French Onion Chicken. You can season the rice or quinoa with herbs and spices for more flavor.
- Salad: A light salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers is a refreshing side dish that pairs well with the rich flavors of French Onion Chicken.
- Crusty Bread: A loaf of crusty bread is a great way to soak up the delicious sauce from the French Onion Chicken. You can also serve garlic bread or cheese bread for extra flavor.
The best side dishes for French Onion Chicken depend on your preference and the occasion. Experiment with different options to find the perfect combination that works for you.
What is a French skillet used for?
A French skillet, a French skillet, is a versatile kitchen tool typically used for sautéing, searing, and frying. French skillets are usually made of heavy-gauge materials such as stainless steel, cast iron, or copper, and they are designed to distribute heat evenly across the cooking surface.
Because of their depth and shape, French skillets are ideal for cooking dishes that require a lot of stirring, such as scrambled eggs, risotto, or sautéed vegetables. They are also great for searing meats, allowing for a good sear while keeping the meat moist and tender.
Overall, French skillets are a popular and versatile kitchen tool that can be used for various cooking tasks. They are a great investment for home cooks who enjoy cooking various dishes and want a high-quality pan that will last for years.