Grandma old fashioned sweet potato pie recipe is a delectable, cozy dessert. This old fashioned sweet potato pie recipe is the only option! that will satisfy your sweet taste and make you feel good. Simple ingredients and much love go into making this pie, which is a delicious treat for any occasion. This post walks you through every step of making this easy dessert, from making the dough to baking the ideal pie. Investigate Grandma’s Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie’s mysteries now!
How To Make Sweet Potato Pie
Grandma’s old-fashioned sweet potato pie recipe is a beloved dessert passed down through generations. It combines a flaky crust, spicy spices, and the inherent sweetness of sweet potatoes. There are many other famous recipes are there like pioneer woman sweet potato pie recipe and black folks sweet potato pie recipe, but today, i am going to share an easy sweet potato pie recipe
This is best sweet potato pie recipe ever and ideal for celebrations, family get-togethers, or a warm treat on a chilly night. Let’s get started by gathering all the necessary ingredients.
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pie crust
Ensure you have all the ingredients ready before making the pie.
Preparing the Crust
The crust is important to any pie, and Grandma’s Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie is no exception. You can make your own fluffy sweet potato pie from scratch or use a store-bought one for convenience. Here’s a simple recipe to make your pie crust:
- Combine 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter in a mixing bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to blend the ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add 2–3 tablespoons of ice water and mix until the dough comes together.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll out the dough on a floured surface and carefully transfer it to a 9-inch pie dish.
If you prefer a shortcut, skip the crust preparation and use a pre-made pie crust instead.
Cooking the Sweet Potatoes
The star ingredient of this pie is, of course, the sweet potatoes. Lets prepare them.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Wash and peel 3–4 medium-sized sweet potatoes.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into chunks and place them in a large pot of boiling water.
- Cook the sweet potatoes until they are fork-tender, which usually takes 15–20 minutes.
- Drain the cooked sweet potatoes and let them cool for a few minutes.
Making the Filling
Once the sweet potatoes are cooked and cooled, it’s time to make the flavorful filling for the pie.
- Combine the mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, melted butter, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Use a hand mixer or whisk to blend all the ingredients until smooth and well combined.
Assembling and Baking the Pie
Now that you have the crust prepared and the filling ready, it’s time to assemble the old fashioned sweet potato recipe and bake it to perfection:
- Pour the sweet potato filling into the prepared pie crust, spreading it evenly.
- Smooth the top of the filling with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake for 45–50 minutes, or until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before serving.
Serving and Enjoying
Grandma old fashioned sweet potato pie recipe is a delectable, cozy dessert. This old fashioned sweet potato pie recipe is the only option! that will satisfy your sweet taste and make you feel good. is best chilled or at room temperature. You can serve it as is or add a whipped cream bit on top for extra indulgence. Slice the pie into wedges and savor each bite of this delightful dessert.
Tips for Variations
While Grandma’s recipe is perfect, you can always add your own twist to make it even more unique. Here are a few variations you can try:
- Add a pinch of nutmeg or ginger to the filling for additional spice.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts on top of the pie before baking for a crunchy texture.
- Experiment with different pie crusts, such as graham cracker crust or a gluten-free alternative.
Feel free to get creative and adapt the recipe to suit your preferences.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Not only is Grandma’s Sweet Potato Pie delicious, but it also offers some health benefits. Sweet potatoes are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. They are packed with antioxidants and are known to support a healthy immune system, promote good vision, and improve digestion. Indulging in this pie can be a guilt-free pleasure, knowing that you’re enjoying a dessert with nutritional value.
Sweet potato pie is believed to have originated in the Southern United States, particularly among African Americans. African and Native American culinary traditions influenced it. Sweet potatoes, a staple in the region, were used to create a delicious and comforting pie that has become a beloved dessert.
Add a thickening agent such as cornstarch or flour to the filling mixture to strengthen a sweet potato pie before baking. Mix a tablespoon of cornstarch or flour with a little cold water to create a slurry. Stir the slurry into the sweet potato filling until well combined. This will help the pie set and achieve a firmer texture.
Homemade sweet potato pie can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to maintain its freshness. Using the pie within this time is best for optimal taste and quality.
Yes, you can freeze sweet potato pie filling. Prepare the filling according to your recipe, but instead of pouring it into the pie crust, transfer it to a freezer-safe container. Make sure the container is sealed tightly to prevent freezer burn. The filling can be frozen for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake the pie, thaw the filling in the refrigerator overnight and pour it into a pie crust before baking.
To bake sweet potatoes for pie, preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Wash the sweet potatoes and prick them several times with a fork to allow steam to escape during baking. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 45-60 minutes or until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Once cooled, peel off the skin and use the flesh in your sweet potato pie recipe.
raditionally, a flaky, buttery pie crust is used for sweet potato pie. You can use a store-bought pie crust or make your own using a recipe that includes flour, butter or shortening, salt, and a little cold water. The buttery flavor of the crust complements the sweet filling of the pie.
The number of sweet potatoes needed for one pie can vary depending on their size. As a general guideline, you typically need around 2 to 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes to make a single sweet potato pie. Adjust the quantity based on the specific recipe you are using and the desired thickness of the filling.
Grandma old fashioned sweet potato pie recipe is a delicious dish that revives cherished tastes and memories from the past. This pie will undoubtedly delight young and old thanks to its rich and creamy filling tucked inside a flaky pastry. This dish will surely please everyone, whether you bake it for a special occasion or are just craving it. So gather your supplies, follow the instructions, and reward yourself with a slice of this classic dessert.